The Caribbean Coast Travel Guide
Sometimes referred to as La Ruta del Sol (the Route of the Sun), the 563-km (350-mi) stretch of highway along the Caribbean Coast from Caracas to Puerto La Cruz and, farther east, to Cumaná, is at once gloriously picturesque and treacherous. Seldom far from the water's edge, most of the Autopista del Oriente (Eastern Highway) follows the myriad loops and twists of the natural shoreline, past unspoiled bays and isolated hamlets. Roadside vendors sell cocos fríos (cold coconuts) and cachapas (a delicious corn pancake folded around cheese), while gas stations blast salsa and merengue and offer up good coffee, a quick rest, and, of course, dirt-cheap gasoline.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Things To Do in The Caribbean Coast
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
If you are looking for a spalike vacation, then the Parque Nacional Los Roques is your place. Los Roques has several "posadas" or bed-and-breakfasts... Read more
Now75° F Clear 69% Humidity Dec 22, 2013 at 1:00AM
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
I am planning a trip to Colombia for 2 weeks beginning on june 27th. I am a female traveling alone (which I am quite used too). I am wondering if it is safe? From what I have read so far, I Read more
Within November/December 2009 we have been to Venezuela, travelling independently and using public transport. Read more