- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Mérida is the base for three- to seven-day treks into the Andes. Rocky trails trod during the early 19th century by armies struggling for independence from Spain make for good hiking. Montaña Adventure Travel. Montaña Adventure Travel arranges multiday excursions to El Tisure, the secluded village of Los Nevados, and Paso Pico El Aguila. Av. Las Américas, Mérida. 0274/266–1448. www.venadventure.com.
Páramo Tours. Another company offering trekking in the region is Páramo Tours. Centro Commercial Oasis, Piso 2, Viaducto Campo Elias, Mérida. 0274/244–8855.
More Sports and Outdoors
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's