- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here & Around
Direct flights from Caracas and other Venezuelan cities, as well as scheduled or charter flights from a number of North American and European cities, make Isla Margarita an easy destination. Most major domestic carriers have daily service from Caracas, Cumaná, Valencia, and Maracaibo to Isla Margarita's Aeropuerto Internacional del Caribe (PMV), 29 km (18 mi) south of Porlamar. Aereotuy flies between Porlamar and Los Roques.
Conferry shuttles passengers and cars four times daily between Puerto La Cruz on the mainland and Punta de Piedras, 25 km (16 mi) west of Porlamar. Gran Cacique serves Margarita six times daily from both Cumaná and Puerto La Cruz. Crossings take from two to four hours and cost Bs.F50 per passenger and Bs.F100 per car. The bus company Unión Conductores de Margarita makes the 12-hour road/ferry trip from Caracas to Isla Margarita for less than Bs.F26.
Taxis and vans serve as public transportation throughout Isla Margarita, but roads are good and renting a car is a great way to reach the more secluded stretches of sand off the beaten track. At Aeropuerto Internacional del Caribe near Porlamar, Hertz is a good option. In downtown Porlamar, try Beach Car Rental.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $650* & up -- Fly to Quito, Ecuador from U.S., R/T LAN Airlines
- $334 -- Luxe Brazil Beach Resort w/Breakfast, 35% Off Sheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $99 -- Colombia: Modern Bogota Hotel w/Breakfast, 35% Off Aloft Bogota Airport
- $1222 & up -- Ecuador: 5-Nt. Amazon Rain Forest Tour w/Air LatinEscapes.com
- Alluring South America IExplore