Isla Margarita Feature
- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Margarita's Main Beaches
Playa El Agua: Easily the most famous and crowded beach on the island, palm-lined Playa El Agua is a remarkable stretch of fine white sand that runs along the coast a short drive north of Pampatar. For much of its 4-km (2-mi) length, restaurants and bars lure sunbathers with blaring salsa music and ice-cold beers. In high season this is the place to show off your bikini, not to relax.
Playa Manzanillo: Hungry for some fresh fish soup? This is a fishermen's bay on the north side of the island, complete with shacks selling cold beer and good seafood overlooking bobbing wooden boats and tangles of rope and net. Though it's not the best spot on the island for swimming, it is good for a dip and a lazy afternoon punctuated with photo ops and yummy snack from the sea.
Playa Pampatar: You'll most certainly pass by this stretch of sand when you go to downtown Pampatar to visit the sights and have a meal at one of the popular restaurants along the main drag. Also home to many fishermen, the beach has a positively lovely view.
Playa Parguito: Laid-back but still quite popular, this is the stretch of beach south of Playa El Agua that surfers love to frequent. It's basically a smaller version of Playa El Agua, offering restaurants, bumpin' music, and a bit of a scene.
Playa Puerto Cruz: Two massive hotels reign over this exquisite, if sometimes choppy, beach: Dunes and Hesperia. There's a short uphill walk to a lighthouse on one end of the beach, and a delicious ½-mi of sand that begs to be walked. You could spend days here.
Playa El Yaque: Close to the airport, this southern-side beach is windsurfer and kite-surfer central—in fact, it's internationally known for its smooth surface and high winds. It's a great place to people-watch and take a stroll, but, not surprisingly, the swimming's not great.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $650* & up -- Fly to Quito, Ecuador from U.S., R/T LAN Airlines
- $334 -- Luxe Brazil Beach Resort w/Breakfast, 35% Off Sheraton Rio Hotel & Resort
- $99 -- Colombia: Modern Bogota Hotel w/Breakfast, 35% Off Aloft Bogota Airport
- $3359 -- Galapagos: 6-Nt. Vacation w/Air, Hotels & Tours Friendly Planet Travel
- Chile's Atacama Desert IExplore