Isla Margarita Travel Guide
- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Venezuelans are enormously fond of the island they call the Perla del Caribe, or the "pearl of the Caribbean." Its status as a duty-free port and its proximity to the mainland make it the top vacation spot for Venezuelans. Come here to explore miles of white sandy beaches, glittering hotels and restaurants, vibrant nightlife, and 16th-century forts and national parks, all of which have transformed Isla Margarita into an increasingly popular destination for other travelers as well.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Isla Margarita restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Isla Margarita
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $824* & up -- Brazil Flights from U.S., R/T incl. Taxes TAM Airlines
- $163 -- Ecuador: Upscale Quito Hotel w/Breakfast, 35% Off Sheraton Quito
- $99 -- Colombia: Modern Bogota Hotel w/Breakfast, 35% Off Aloft Bogota Airport
- $1399 -- Ecuador: 7 Nts. w/Air & Amazon Tours, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
- $999 -- Panama Canal 14-Night Cruise, $200 Off Norwegian Cruise Line
Playa El Agua: Easily the most famous and crowded beach on the island, palm-lined Playa El Agua is a remarkable stretch of fine white sand that... Read more
Exploring Macanao, the western portion of Margarita, is a great way to spend a day off from the beach. Hire a driver through your hotel or, even... Read more
Founded as the capital of the island in 1529, El Valle del Espíritu Santo, just north of Porlamar, has a splendid pink-and-white church... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Now86° F Scattered Clouds 74% Humidity June 19, 2013 at 11:00AM
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
I am planning a trip to Colombia for 2 weeks beginning on june 27th. I am a female traveling alone (which I am quite used too). I am wondering if it is safe? From what I have read so far, I Read more
Within November/December 2009 we have been to Venezuela, travelling independently and using public transport. Read more
I've been looking around websites of airlines and it seems hard to find flights that go directly to Venezuela. Read more