Elsewhere in Venezuela Travel Guide
Whether you want to visit the "Serengeti of South America" (aka Los Llanos), the incredibly remote and surreal southeast region of the country, or the amazingly lush watershed of the Río Orinoco, taking a week or two to head into the lesser-traveled regions of Venezuela is recommended the trip of a lifetime. But keep in mind that the farther afield you travel, the more useful—in terms of navigation, know-how, safety, and gear—a tour operator will be. Decide the area you want to explore, make a list of the top experiences you'd like to have, and then choose your tour operator accordingly. There's no doubt that traveling to remote areas is trying in this country, with its insufficient tourism infrastructure and frequent social and political unrest, but it's also worth the time and effort if you're craving a memorable, captivating adventure.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Things To Do in Elsewhere in Venezuela
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $824* & up -- Brazil Flights from U.S., R/T incl. Taxes TAM Airlines
- $163 -- Ecuador: Upscale Quito Hotel w/Breakfast, 35% Off Sheraton Quito
- $99 -- Colombia: Modern Bogota Hotel w/Breakfast, 35% Off Aloft Bogota Airport
- $1399 -- Ecuador: 7 Nts. w/Air & Amazon Tours, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
- $999 -- Panama Canal 14-Night Cruise, $200 Off Norwegian Cruise Line
The first animals you'll notice are the scary ones. In Los Llanos, the vast grasslands that make up nearly a third of Venezuela, roadside pools... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Now84° F Scattered Clouds 55% Humidity June 19, 2013 at 11:00AM
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
I am planning a trip to Colombia for 2 weeks beginning on june 27th. I am a female traveling alone (which I am quite used too). I am wondering if it is safe? From what I have read so far, I Read more
Within November/December 2009 we have been to Venezuela, travelling independently and using public transport. Read more
I've been looking around websites of airlines and it seems hard to find flights that go directly to Venezuela. Read more