Caracas Travel Guide
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
On a wall facing the Plaza el Venezolano, Simón Bolívar is quoted as follows: "Si se opone la naturaleza lucharemos contra ella y la haremos que nos obedezca" (If nature opposes us, we'll struggle against her and make her obey us). Nowhere in Venezuela is the legacy of Bolívar's defiant proclamation more apparent than in Caracas itself. Whether gazing at the city's sprawling skyline from the 17th-story window of a high-rise hotel or strolling in the shadows of looming concrete edifices, one wistfully dreams of what Caracas might have been like had its sudden growth spurt occurred during any other architectural moment than the 1970s.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Caracas restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Caracas
Set amid rolling hills, Caracas lacks a single downtown...read more
Parque Nacional El Ávila. Ask most Caraqueños what defines their city the most, and you'll often hear "El Ávila!" The mountains of Parque Nacional... Read more
Un café con leche, por favor—that is: "One coffee with milk, please." And, if you're a fan of good coffee, you'll love café-hopping in Caracas... Read more
· Travel Planner
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
I am planning a trip to Colombia for 2 weeks beginning on june 27th. I am a female traveling alone (which I am quite used too). I am wondering if it is safe? From what I have read so far, I Read more
Within November/December 2009 we have been to Venezuela, travelling independently and using public transport. Read more