The South Coast Feature
- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
A Cavalcade of Stars
Visitors to Punta del Este during its first heyday in the '50s and '60s rubbed shoulders with the likes of Ingmar Bergman and Yul Brynner. Even Brigitte Bardot, that then-icon of similarly themed St-Tropez, appeared here periodically. Today the town regularly rolls out the red carpet for supermodel Naomi Campbell and Latin singer Shakira. Ricky Martin, Madonna, Enrique Iglesias, Antonio Banderas, Pamela Anderson, Ralph Lauren, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton, and Leonardo DiCaprio have done the Punta circuit, too. You never know who you might see. In season, that is.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe