Uruguay's most prestigious private social club, founded in 1888, is headquartered in this eclectic, three-story neoclassical national monument on the south side of Plaza Matriz. The club was formed for high society of European descent, but today is open to the public. Friendly, English-speaking guides happily bring visitors up the marble staircases so that they can marvel at the elegant salons. The club also hosts cultural events, including music performances and art shows, throughout the year. Non-members are welcome at the on-site bar and restaurant, but full access to the club's luxe facilities, including a library and billiards room, is reserved for its exclusive members.