The Southern Andes and Lake Titicaca Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Crossing into Chile
The border with Chile, about 40 km (25 miles) from Tacna or 440 km (272 miles) from Arequipa, is open daily and very easy to cross. All you need is your passport. From Tacna there are scores of colectivos that will give you a ride to the other side for S/20, or you can take a bus headed to Arica from Tacna, departing hourly. You can also take the train, which leaves several times a day.
Typically, drivers will help with border formalities, even the colectivos. The road journey takes about an hour. Any train aficionado will enjoy the slow, somewhat bumpy, but beautiful train ride from Tacna to Arica, which takes more than an hour and costs S/6.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe