The Southern Andes and Lake Titicaca Experience
Top Reasons to Go
Wild Rivers: Fantastic rapids and gorges make Colca Canyon and Cotahuasi Canyon the region's best-known kayaking and rafting spots.
Folk Fiestas: Whether it's the Virgen del Candelaria festival in Puno, Arequipa's annual anniversary, or Semana Santa in Chivay, Peru's culture is celebrated with more than 300 festive folkloric dances featuring brightly colored costumes.
Wildlife: Llamas, vicuñas, and alpacas roam the Reserva Nacional Salinas y Aguada Blanca, giant Andean condors soar above Colca Canyon, and rare bird species nest at Lake Titicaca and in other high mountain lakes.
Shopping: Along with Arequipa's alpaca stores, this region is also a mine of yarn, leather products, guitars, and antiques.
Floating Islands: On Lake Titicaca, made from the lake's totora reeds, the series of Uros islands float, providing residence to more than 3,000 Aymará and Quechua inhabitants.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's