- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The border-crossing tours have packages from $150 USD to $400 USD. Reputable agencies include Crillón Tours and Transturin Ltd; based in Bolivia, tours go from Puno to La Paz and vice versa. Both include a pickup from your hotel in Puno, and transfer by first-class bus to the border in Yunguyo (a three-hour drive). After crossing the border you take a bus to Copacabana, a funky beach town (30 minutes). The most expensive—and comfortable way—to get to Isla del Sol and Isla de la Luna is by Crillón Tours hydrofoil from the Inca Utama Hotel but cheaper boats leave from Copacabana at 8:30 and 1:30 daily. The journey takes about two hours and costs (Bs)20. Once you are on the island, it's walking all the way, unless a mule has been organized through your hotel ahead of time. The tourist office, located on the northern side of Isla del Sol, offers private guides for (Bs)90, or (Bs)10 per person when booking groups of 10.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1849 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail Hiking LatinEscapes.com
- $1709 & up -- Peru 6-Nts. w/Machu Picchu, Lima & Cusco Tours — $1,709 LatinEscapes.com