With its seven defensive walls, the gigantic fortress at Paramonga is worth a look. A small museum has interesting displays on Chimú culture. The archaeological site sits just off the Pan-American Highway, about 3 km (2 mi) north of the turnoff for Huaraz. For a few dollars you can take a taxi to the ruins from the nearby town of Barranca.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
In a nutshell: Percy Salas- BEST GUIDE EVER, book him and have him purchase your tickets—don’t purchase any tickets f... Read more
Hi everyone! My husband and I have returned from a three week trip in Peru with Ayni Peru (http://www.ayni-peru.com/ ), and had an amaz... Read more