- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Peru's number-one trekking and adventure-sports destination, Huaraz is an easy starting point for those wishing to explore the vast wilderness of the Cordillera Blanca. Unfortunately, the town has been repeatedly leveled by natural disasters. In the later part of the 20th century three large earthquakes destroyed much of Huaraz, claiming more than 20,000 lives.
Despite the setbacks and death toll, Huaraz rallied, and today it's a pleasant town filled with good-natured people. Being the most popular tourist destination in northern Peru, Huaraz also has a great international scene; while the town has few sights, the restaurants and hotels are some of the best in the region. Many businesses close between September and May, when the town practically shuts down without its hoards of climbers and trekkers. It can be hard to find an outfitter at this time; call ahead if you plan a rainy-season visit.
Huaraz at a Glance
Elsewhere in The North Coast and Northern Highlands
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail Hiking LatinEscapes.com
- $1387 & up -- Peru 6-Nts. w/Machu Picchu, Lima & Cusco Tours — $1,387 LatinEscapes.com