- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
A lively commercial center, Chiclayo is prosperous and easygoing. Although it doesn't have much colonial architecture or special outward beauty, it's surrounded by numerous pre-Columbian sites. The Moche and Chimú people had major cities in the area, as did the Lambayeque, who flourished here from about 700 to 1370. Archaeology buffs flocked to the area after the 1987 discovery of the nearby unlooted tomb of the Lord of Sipán. Chiclayo is a comfortable base from which to visit that tomb as well as other archaeological sites.
Chiclayo at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in The North Coast and Northern Highlands
- Chavín de Huántar
- Lagunas de Llanganuco
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's