- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Tarma is the gateway to the Reserva Nacional de Junín and high jungle around Chanchamayo, and outfits like Perú Latino Tarma tours and Max Adventures offer day tours to both.
Around Huancayo you can hike, bike, and explore local villages with the amazing Incas del Perú, which also has a Spanish-language school, book exchange, and folk-art collection. They will also arrange volunteering and hiking throughout the Manataro Valley and high jungle, as well as music, cooking, weaving, and gourd-carving workshops. Dargui Tours offers multiday tours of the region, with a focus on the archaeological ruins around Huancayo.
Ayacucho is surrounded by archaeological ruins and natural wonders, all of which can be viewed on a package tour. A&R Tours has city excursions and routes to Huari, Quinua, Valle Huanta, and Vilcashhuamán.
A&R Tours (9 de Diciembre 130, Ayacucho. 066/311–300.)
Dargui Tours (Jr. Ancash 367, Ayacucho. 064/238–100. www.darguitours.com.)
Incas del Perú (Giráldez 652, Huancayo. 064/223–303. www.incasdelperu.com.)
Max Adventures (2 de Mayo 684, Tarma. 064/323–908.)
Perú Latino Travel Agency (Lima 320, Tarma. 064/321–725.)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe