A mere hour east of Lima puts you in the foothills of the Andes, a windy, barren landscape where llamas and alpacas graze on vast, puddle-filled fields. Under the blinding highland sun, roads and rails twist around the peaks and pass through ramshackle mountain towns before sliding down through cloud forests and thick jungle en route to Tingo María and Pucallpa. Southeast from Tarma, passing through Huancayo and on to Ayacucho, massive green mountains and the endless altiplano (high plains) protect hidden Incan ruins and mesmerizing stone forests.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's