- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Tarma sits at over 3000 meters (10,000 feet) but is a stone's throw from the ceja de selva (high jungle), where many of Peru's citrus plantations lie. For around S/50 ($20), you can organize a day trip from Tarma to visit Chanchamayo's magnificent waterfalls, butterfly-filled forests, and local tribal groups. These tours take guests to the major waterfalls in the area, including a refreshing dip in the 30-meter Tirol Falls, a jungle lunch of cecina (cured pork) or doncella (river fish), a visit to the local Ashaninka tribe at Pampa Michi, and a tasting of local coffees and other artisanal products. For those who won't get to the Amazon during their time in Peru, this is an inexpensive way to experience the pleasures of jungle living. It is also a warm escape from the cool highland air. Peru Latino Tarma offers daily tours.
- Address: 50 km (20 miles) from Tarma, La Merced
- Location: Tarma
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Peru - August 24 to Sept 15
As always, I am so grateful for the reports, advice, and wealth of knowledge available
on this forum when I start my trip planning. Read more
The goals of this year’s South American safari were good weather and jaguar in the Pantanal and to explore ‘wild’ Peru in Manu, Tambopata and Chaparri Reserve. Read more
I would really appreciate opinions on the hike of Huayna Picchu vs Machu Picchu Mountain (the old peak - not the citadel, not the sun gate).
In my research I'm getting conflicting info.
Everyone Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more