- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Heath River Wildlife Center
At a Glance
- lots of wildlife
- macaw clay lick
- nice bungalows
Heath River Wildlife Center Review
The spacious screened bungalows at this InkaNatura-owned lodge are among the most comfortable eco-accommodations in Madre de Dios, and they're ideal for full-blown wildlife fans: in fact, guests frequently see such rare animals as tapirs or jaguars. The center is actually in Bolivia, but you don't officially enter that country. It is near both the Tambopata National Reserve and Bolivia's Madidi National Park. In addition to its own protected forest, traversed by miles of trails, the lodge offers convenient access to a collpa visited by hundreds of parrots and macaws, as well as an oxbow lake called Cocha Moa. A 90-minute hike from the lodge takes you to a savannah-like ecosystem called Pampas de Heath that's home to birds found nowhere else in Peru. Most people combine a stay here with a couple of nights at the Sandoval Lake Lodge.
- Address: 123 km (76 miles), or five hours by boat, east of, Puerto Maldonado
- Phone: 1/203–5000
- Website: www.inkanatura.com
- Location: Tambopata National Reserve and Bahuaja-Sonene National Park
- 10 bungalows.
- Rate includes all meals.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Peru - August 24 to Sept 15
As always, I am so grateful for the reports, advice, and wealth of knowledge available
on this forum when I start my trip planning. Read more
The goals of this year’s South American safari were good weather and jaguar in the Pantanal and to explore ‘wild’ Peru in Manu, Tambopata and Chaparri Reserve. Read more
I would really appreciate opinions on the hike of Huayna Picchu vs Machu Picchu Mountain (the old peak - not the citadel, not the sun gate).
In my research I'm getting conflicting info.
Everyone Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more