- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Heath River Wildlife Center
At a Glance
- lots of wildlife
- macaw clay lick
- nice bungalows
Check Rates from our Partners
Heath River Wildlife Center Review
The spacious screened bungalows at this InkaNatura-owned lodge are among the most comfortable eco-accommodations in Madre de Dios, and they're ideal for full-blown wildlife fans: in fact, guests frequently see such rare animals as tapirs or jaguars. The center is actually in Bolivia, but you don't officially enter that country. It is near both the Tambopata National Reserve and Bolivia's Madidi National Park. In addition to its own protected forest, traversed by miles of trails, the lodge offers convenient access to a collpa visited by hundreds of parrots and macaws, as well as an oxbow lake called Cocha Moa. A 90-minute hike from the lodge takes you to a savannah-like ecosystem called Pampas de Heath that's home to birds found nowhere else in Peru. Most people combine a stay here with a couple of nights at the Sandoval Lake Lodge.
- Address: 123 km (76 miles), or five hours by boat, east of, Puerto Maldonado
- Phone: 1/203–5000
- Website: www.inkanatura.com
- Location: Tambopata National Reserve and Bahuaja-Sonene National Park
- 10 bungalows.
- Rate includes all meals.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
This is a continuation of my report on the Argentina forum, Salta.
Below is a cut and paste from my blog, edited with details of costs and names of hotels for people who may be interested.
Its a long Read more
I was planning this trip for a very long time. Read more
I'm aware many people have had problems trying to buy tickets to Machu Picchu on the government web site http://www.machupicchu.gob.pe/ including me.
Starting last weekend I made several attempts. At firs Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more