- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
At a Glance
- surrounded by rain forest
- children's program
- no screens
- noise audible from other rooms
Check Rates from our Partners
Refugio Amazonas Review
Rooms separated by cane walls in long, thatched buildings, an airy bar and restaurant, and a jungle setting make the Refugio comparable to Posada Amazonas. Rooms are open on one end for forest viewing; kerosene lanterns provide light at night; birds provide wakeup calls. Because it's halfway between Puerto Maldonado and the Tambopata Research Center, travelers spend a night here on the way to and from the center, but it is also a worthy destination in its own right. The Refugio, owned by Rainforest Expeditions, lies within a 200-hectare (500-acre) protected forest that is contiguous with the Tambopata National Reserve. A canopy tower provides a great view of the rain forest. The lodge caters to families, organizing environmental activities for children. It's a four-hour bus and boat trip from Puerto Maldonado.
- Address: Tambopata River, 80 km (50 miles) southwest of, Puerto Maldonado
- Phone: 1/719–6422; 9935–12265; 877/231–9251 in U.S.
- Website: www.perunature.com
- Location: Tambopata National Reserve and Bahuaja-Sonene National Park
- 32 rooms.
- Rate includes all meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
This is a continuation of my report on the Argentina forum, Salta.
Below is a cut and paste from my blog, edited with details of costs and names of hotels for people who may be interested.
Its a long Read more
I was planning this trip for a very long time. Read more
Trip planning is coming along and now am trying to pin down timeline and hoping those of you who have done the same will give more advice. Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more