- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Tambopata Research Center
At a Glance
- deep in the wilderness
- lots of wildlife
- excellent guides
- no screens
- little privacy
Tambopata Research Center Review
Eight hours upriver by boat from Puerto Maldonado, in the heart of the Tambopata National Reserve, this rustic lodge is one of the best places in Peru to spot wildlife. Expert guides lead you down miles of trails to see dozens of bird species, several kinds of monkeys and, perhaps, peccaries (wild pigs), a giant armadillo, or a jaguar. Hundreds of parrots and dozens of macaws visit the nearby Collpa Colorado each morning. Rooms are small, open on one end, but clean; a separate building connected by an elevated walkway has bathrooms with hot-water showers. Kerosene lanterns light rooms, but common spaces have electricity at night. Buffet meals are served in an open-air restaurant. Due to the distance, stays here are combined with overnights at the Refugio Amazonas on tours with a four-night minimum.
- Address: Tambopata River, 150 km (93 miles) southwest of, Puerto Maldonado
- Phone: 1/719–6422; 9935–12265; 877/231–9251 in U.S.
- Website: www.perunature.com
- Location: Tambopata National Reserve and Bahuaja-Sonene National Park
- 18 rooms with shared bath.
- Rate includes all meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Peru - August 24 to Sept 15
As always, I am so grateful for the reports, advice, and wealth of knowledge available
on this forum when I start my trip planning. Read more
The goals of this year’s South American safari were good weather and jaguar in the Pantanal and to explore ‘wild’ Peru in Manu, Tambopata and Chaparri Reserve. Read more
New to the site, just researching info for my first ever trip to South America...exciting!!
I was just wondering if anybody had come across or has maybe even taken a bus with a company called Read more
· News & Features
American Airlines and US Airways formally completed their merger this morning, leaving four major players... Read more
Oceania Cruises has got something unique in store: a world cruise that embarks in the summertime instead... Read more
Whether its Spicy Alligator Fritters or Broiled Lobster Maine Lobster that you're after, Carnival's new... Read more