- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Tambopata Research Center
At a Glance
- deep in the wilderness
- lots of wildlife
- excellent guides
- no screens
- little privacy
Check Rates from our Partners
Tambopata Research Center Review
Eight hours upriver by boat from Puerto Maldonado, in the heart of the Tambopata National Reserve, this rustic lodge is one of the best places in Peru to spot wildlife. Expert guides lead you down miles of trails to see dozens of bird species, several kinds of monkeys and, perhaps, peccaries (wild pigs), a giant armadillo, or a jaguar. Hundreds of parrots and dozens of macaws visit the nearby Collpa Colorado each morning. Rooms are small, open on one end, but clean; a separate building connected by an elevated walkway has bathrooms with hot-water showers. Kerosene lanterns light rooms, but common spaces have electricity at night. Buffet meals are served in an open-air restaurant. Due to the distance, stays here are combined with overnights at the Refugio Amazonas on tours with a four-night minimum.
- Address: Tambopata River, 150 km (93 miles) southwest of, Puerto Maldonado
- Phone: 1/719–6422; 9935–12265; 877/231–9251 in U.S.
- Website: www.perunature.com
- Location: Tambopata National Reserve and Bahuaja-Sonene National Park
- 18 rooms with shared bath.
- Rate includes all meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
This is a continuation of my report on the Argentina forum, Salta.
Below is a cut and paste from my blog, edited with details of costs and names of hotels for people who may be interested.
Its a long Read more
I was planning this trip for a very long time. Read more
I'm aware many people have had problems trying to buy tickets to Machu Picchu on the government web site http://www.machupicchu.gob.pe/ including me.
Starting last weekend I made several attempts. At firs Read more
· News & Features
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting. ... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more
Kick off spring with some of this year's best events and hotel packages in Washington, D.C.... Read more