- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Tambopata Research Center
At a Glance
- deep in the wilderness
- lots of wildlife
- excellent guides
- no screens
- little privacy
Tambopata Research Center Review
Eight hours upriver by boat from Puerto Maldonado, in the heart of the Tambopata National Reserve, this rustic lodge is one of the best places in Peru to spot wildlife. Expert guides lead you down miles of trails to see dozens of bird species, several kinds of monkeys and, perhaps, peccaries (wild pigs), a giant armadillo, or a jaguar. Hundreds of parrots and dozens of macaws visit the nearby Collpa Colorado each morning. Rooms are small, open on one end, but clean; a separate building connected by an elevated walkway has bathrooms with hot-water showers. Kerosene lanterns light rooms, but common spaces have electricity at night. Buffet meals are served in an open-air restaurant. Due to the distance, stays here are combined with overnights at the Refugio Amazonas on tours with a four-night minimum.
- Address: Tambopata River, 150 km (93 miles) southwest of, Puerto Maldonado,
- Phone: 1/719-6422; 9935-12265; 877/231-9251 in U.S.
- Website: www.perunature.com
- Location: Tambopata National Reserve and Bahuaja-Sonene National Park
- 18 rooms with shared bath.
- Rate includes all meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1849 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail Hiking LatinEscapes.com
- $1709 & up -- Peru 6-Nts. w/Machu Picchu, Lima & Cusco Tours — $1,709 LatinEscapes.com
We went to Peru April 20-30 and really enjoyed our time there—the food, scenery, sights, and people all make the country an exceptional place to visit.
Peru Star Hotel- nice rooms and location, Read more
The history of our marriage is as unique as our honeymoon. Read more
· News & Features
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more
Need we say more?... Read more
On the tip of Mexico's Baja Peninsula, sun-drenched Los Cabos draws in everyone from honeymooners and... Read more