- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
At a Glance
- easy to get to
- excursions included in rates
- environmentally friendly
- bungalows are close enough to hear neighbors
- engine noise from the river annoying
Reserva Amazónica Review
A 30-minute boat ride down the Madre de Dios River from Puerto Maldonado, this is the region's fanciest and most expensive lodge. The massive thatched restaurant and airy bungalows, set amid trees near the river, define "jungle chic." Buildings are screened in and have ceiling fans—details most jungle lodges lack. Its 17,000 hectare (42,000-acre) private nature reserve is traversed by trails and features a canopy walkway with suspension bridges strung between treetop platforms. The property is home to jungle rodents called agoutis, several species of monkeys, and an array of birds; but you won't see as much wildlife here as at other lodges. The half-day trip to nearby Lago Sandoval is highly recommended. Dinners complete the jungle experience with amazing regional cuisine.
- Address: Km 15, Madre de Dios River, Puerto Maldonado
- Phone: 1/610–0400; 855/409–1456 in U.S.; (0) 808/101–2224 in U.K.
- Website: www.inkaterra.com
- Location: Tambopata National Reserve and Bahuaja-Sonene National Park
- 33 rooms, 2 suites.
- Rate includes all meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Peru - August 24 to Sept 15
As always, I am so grateful for the reports, advice, and wealth of knowledge available
on this forum when I start my trip planning. Read more
The goals of this year’s South American safari were good weather and jaguar in the Pantanal and to explore ‘wild’ Peru in Manu, Tambopata and Chaparri Reserve. Read more
New to the site, just researching info for my first ever trip to South America...exciting!!
I was just wondering if anybody had come across or has maybe even taken a bus with a company called Read more
· News & Features
With Art Basel Miami now in town, it's prime time to consider the 7 reasons why you should be taking a... Read more
New York City offers irresistible retail therapy during the holiday season.... Read more
Next year, crazed soccer fans the world will descend upon Brazil, host of the 2014 World Cup.... Read more