- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
At a Glance
- knowledgeable guides
- in the Tambopata Reserve
- responsible tourism
- basic meals
Check Rates from our Partners
Explorer's Inn Review
Founded in 1975, this lodge on the Tambopata River was one of the country's ecotourism pioneers, and dozens of biological studies have been completed in its forest. It accommodates tourists and visiting scientists alike in thatched-roof bungalows, and the selling point here is exposure to nature rather than comfort. It is one of the few lodges inside the Tambopata National Reserve, which can be explored on 30 km (18½ mi) of trails. Moreover, it offers exclusive access to the oxbow lake of Cocococha, which is home to giant otters, agami herons, and other rare species. The abundant wildlife provides ample reward for travelers willing to rough it. The minimum stay is three days/two nights.
- Address: Tambopata River, 58 km (36 mi) southwest of, Puerto Maldonado
- Phone: 1/447–8888
- Website: www.explorersinn.com
- Location: Tambopata National Reserve and Bahuaja-Sonene National Park
- 30 rooms.
- Rate includes all meals.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
This is a continuation of my report on the Argentina forum, Salta.
Below is a cut and paste from my blog, edited with details of costs and names of hotels for people who may be interested.
Its a long Read more
I was planning this trip for a very long time. Read more
I'm looking to spend 3 weeks in SA. Read more
· News & Features
For ample beach time, minus the party scene, Cabo San Lucas is a bustling enclave with a marina, lots... Read more
Author, conservationist, and TED Talk speaker Boyd Varty shares eight top places to visit in his native... Read more
This unattributed travel quote tells us why splurging on a trip is totally worth it.... Read more