- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
At a Glance
- less expensive than competition
- great bird watching
- quite rustic
- a two-day trip from Cusco
Pantiacolla Lodge Review
Named for the mountain range that towers over it, the Pantiacolla Lodge sits in a 900-hectare (2,223-acre) nature reserve in Manu's cultural zone that boasts 600-odd bird species plus an array of mammals that ranges from squirrel monkeys to peccaries. It is higher, and thus slightly cooler, than the lowland lodges and has fewer mosquitoes. Rooms lack electricity and are very basic (think beds with mosquito netting and a table). Three bungalows have private baths, but most guests use toilets and showers in a separate building. The lodge offers a cultural presentation by people from a nearby Harakmbut indigenous community. Tours include overnights at the San Pedro Lodge, in the cloud forest, and can be combined with stays at the Yine Lodge and the Campsite Sachavaca, in Manu's reserved zone, down river.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Peru - August 24 to Sept 15
As always, I am so grateful for the reports, advice, and wealth of knowledge available
on this forum when I start my trip planning. Read more
The goals of this year’s South American safari were good weather and jaguar in the Pantanal and to explore ‘wild’ Peru in Manu, Tambopata and Chaparri Reserve. Read more
I would really appreciate opinions on the hike of Huayna Picchu vs Machu Picchu Mountain (the old peak - not the citadel, not the sun gate).
In my research I'm getting conflicting info.
Everyone Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more