The first church on the site was completed in 1625. The layout for this immense structure was dictated by Francisco Pizarro, and his basic vision has survived complete rebuilding after earthquakes in 1746 and 1940. Inside are impressive baroque appointments, especially the intricately carved choir stalls. Because of changing tastes, the main altar was replaced around 1800 with one in a neoclassical style. At about the same time the towers that flank the entrance were added.
Admission includes a 40-minute tour. Visit the chapel where Pizarro is entombed and the small museum of religious art and artifacts.
East side of Plaza de Armas, Lima, 01, Peru