- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
With flower-filled parks and wide swaths of green overlooking the ocean, it's no wonder travelers flock to this seaside suburb. Miraflores has Lima's best selection of hotels and restaurants, which is why most people stay here, but it is also the city's cultural hub. There are plenty of boutiques, galleries, and museums, as well as bars, cafés, and dance clubs. Some people who find themselves in Lima for a short time never leave this little haven.
At its center is Parque Miraflores, sitting like a slice of pie between Avenida José Larco and Avenida Diagonal. On the eastern side is the Iglesia de la Virgen Milagrosa, the neighborhood's largest church. The colonial-style building next door is the Palacio Municipal de Miraflores, where most governmental business takes place.
Where you go next depends on your areas of interest. If you're interested in ancient cultures, head to the towering temple of Pucllana. From the top you have a great view of the neighborhood. A tiny Museo Amano, six blocks to the west contains one of the city's best collections of ancient artifacts. If you want to shop, head for Avenida Petit Thouars just a few blocks north of the park, where a series of markets hold dozens of shops that offer some of the best deals in town. If you have romance on your mind, go south along Avenida Diagonal to Parque del Amor, a wonderful park with a splendid view of the coast and sea below. It attracts young lovers, paragliding enthusiasts, and just about everyone else on a sunny afternoon.
Miraflores at a Glance
- Astrid y Gaston
- Brujas de Cachiche
- El Rincón Gaucho
- El Señorío de Sulco
- Huaca Pucllana
- La Mar
- La Rosa Náutica
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail Hiking LatinEscapes.com
- $1387 & up -- Peru 6-Nts. w/Machu Picchu, Lima & Cusco Tours — $1,387 LatinEscapes.com