- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Barranco is a mix of bohemian, historic, and run down, but the area along the coast is the most charming of Lima's neighborhoods. On weekend nights it's a magnet for young people who come to carouse in its bars and dance clubs. Sleepy during the day, the neighborhood comes to life around sunset, when artisans start hawking their wares on its central square and the bars begin filling up.
Founded toward the end of the 19th century, Barranco was where wealthy Limeños built their summer residences. The streetcar line that once connected it to El Centro brought crowds of beachgoers on weekends and holidays. The view proved so irresistible that some built huge mansions on the cliffs above the sea. Many of these have fallen into disrepair, but little by little they are being renovated.
Barranco at a Glance
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe