- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here and Around
The sites immediately north of Cusco (Sacsayhuamán, Qenko, Puka Pukara, and Tambomachay) are best and most easily taken in via an organized tour. Although both the Urubamba Valley and Valle del Sur are readily accessible by public transportation, most travelers prefer the convenience of a tour to bouncing between buses—the entire site-seeing circuit is about 170 km (105 mi).
Tours are easily organized from one of the many kiosks in Cusco ($15-$30 USD), or if you prefer a more intimate, less tourist-driven trip you can hire a taxi ($60-$70 USD) and a guide ($60 USD). Both PeruRail and Inca Rail offer train service from Cusco to Ollantaytambo.
Acclimatizing in the Sacred Valley
An increasingly popular option for acclimatizing is to touch down in Cusco and head directly to the Sacred Valley. The patchwork of pastures roll loosely alongside rocky red cliffs, and life sways lazily to the sibilant croon of the Urubamba river; a balmy and breath-catching 2,000 meters (6,562 feet) below the clamoring cobblestone streets of Cusco. Most Sacred Valley hotels will provide transportation to and from the airport in Cusco upon request.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $3099 -- South America 7-Nt. Escape w/Air, Hotels & Tours Friendly Planet Travel
- $1527 & up -- Machu Picchu: 8-Nt. Trek w/Inca Trail Hiking — $1,527 LatinEscapes.com
- $1387 & up -- Peru 6-Nts. w/Machu Picchu, Lima & Cusco Tours — $1,387 LatinEscapes.com