La Encarnaceña (021/551–745.)
The One That Got Away
Paraguay's fishing is considered to be among the best in the world. Anglers come chiefly to catch dorado (spectacular fighters that leap high into the air when hooked) and surubí (giant catfish that take off like an express train when you reel them in). Dorado are generally between 9 and 27 pounds, although some weigh up to 40 pounds. Surubí weighing as much as 44 pounds are not uncommon, but the real trophies are more than 90 pounds. The top spots for anglers are in the southwest—Ayolas, on the Río Paraná, and Villa Florida, on the Río Tebicuary.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's