Farms give way to rolling grasslands as you approach Villa Florida, the grazing grounds of white Nelore cattle. Cowboys in wide-brim hats tend the herds on horses saddled in sheepskin, while goats stealthily graze in hibiscus- and bougainvillea-filled gardens outside tiny, rustic cottages along the Río Tebicuary. The river, which once marked the western border of the Jesuit mission area, now has several popular beaches; anglers know it well as a prime spot for catching dorado and surubí. The town is not particularly pretty, but there is a good selection of hotels and restaurants, and sunsets over the water are magnificent.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $824* & up -- Brazil Flights from U.S., R/T incl. Taxes TAM Airlines
- $163 -- Ecuador: Upscale Quito Hotel w/Breakfast, 35% Off Sheraton Quito
- $99 -- Colombia: Modern Bogota Hotel w/Breakfast, 35% Off Aloft Bogota Airport
- $1399 -- Ecuador: 7 Nts. w/Air & Amazon Tours, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
- $999 -- Panama Canal 14-Night Cruise, $200 Off Norwegian Cruise Line