Encarnación was the site of the long-gone Itapúa mission, but you'd never know it today. Linked by bridge to the Argentine town of Posadas, Encarnación is a somewhat dreary border town that serves as a convenient stopping point for many a weary traveler. The town has seen an influx of Eastern European immigrants. Its most incongruous sight is the small, ornate Ukrainian Orthodox church on Plaza Artigas.
Encarnación at a Glance
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe