Shopping in Asunción
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The best shopping in Asunción falls into two very distinct categories: handicrafts and electronics. Prices for both are among the lowest in South America. Argentinians flock here for bargains on the latter, but prices are actually comparable to those of large discount stores in the United States.
Markets & Shopping Districts
Plaza de los Héroes. You can find lots of handicrafts west of Plaza de los Héroes between Palma and Estrella. For quality goods, stick to the specialty stores. Hundreds of small shops here sell imported watches, electronics, cameras, and athletic shoes. Watch out for street vendors selling knock-offs such as "Rolec" watches.
Need a Break?
Lido Bar. Across from the Panteón Nacional de los Héroes is the doyenne of Asunción diners, the Lido Bar. The counter loops around the room, painted tan with highlights of brown. Just pull up a stool and enjoy luscious ice cream and coffee served by pillbox hat-clad waitresses. The icy air-conditioning feels so good that you'll hate to return to the sweltering heat outdoors. Order another slice of pie instead. Palma at Chile, Asunción. 021/444–607.
Browse Asunción Shopping
Browse Asunción Shopping By Location
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe