The Northern Highlands Travel Guide
- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
When the Spanish conquered the territory north of Quito, they introduced sheep to the region. Over time the mountain-dwellers became expert wool weavers and dyers; even today some craftspeople painstakingly collect and prepare their own natural dyes despite the increasing popularity of modern synthetic colors. Many small weaving villages dot the green-and-gold highland valleys, and every weekend artisans make the trek to the colorful market in Otavalo, the largest and most prosperous of these crafts towns. Otavalo's Plaza de Ponchos and adjacent streets bustle each Saturday, with merchants selling weavings, rugs, sweaters, jewelry, and handicrafts. Smaller villages—such as Cotacachi (famous for its leather) and San Antonio de Ibarra (known for its woodwork)—host their own markets, though none on such a grand scale as Otavalo's.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Northern Highlands restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in The Northern Highlands
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $650* & up -- Fly to Quito, Ecuador from U.S., R/T LAN Airlines
- $3359 -- Galapagos: 6-Nt. Vacation w/Air, Hotels & Tours Friendly Planet Travel
- $1222 & up -- Ecuador: 5-Nt. Amazon Rain Forest Tour w/Air — $1,222 LatinEscapes.com
- $2118 & up -- Galapagos Islands Escape w/Tours & Breakfast — $2,118 LatinEscapes.com
Why not take that classic walking city tour to new heights with this new trend of rooftop tours?... Read more
Silverseas cruise line will begin sailing to the Galapagos Islands following its purchase of Ecuadoria... Read more
Nestled in the Andean hillside, the Mashpi Lodge opened last week beckoning those looking to get close—very... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Now58.7° F Scattered Clouds 85% Humidity
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Again, as promised a separate thread that will be easily searchable. Read more
With many thanks to many posters here who commented in my earlier thread: http://www.fodors.com/community/europe/3-weeks-w-6-year-old-in-uk.cfm
I didn't want to disappear into the ether and i wanted to Read more