Sports & the Outdoors
Storms and mudslides have put onetime train travel to and from Quito out of business, although plans are afoot to rehabilitate track in this region. Fortunately, the section still intact includes the exhilarating "Devil's Nose," operated by Metropolitan Touring as a combination bus and train trip starting at Riobamba.
Metropolitan Touring operates a combination bus and train trip, usually running Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, Av. República de El Salvador 970, Quito. 02/246–4780; 800/527–2500 in North America. www.metropolitan-touring.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe