Three of Ecuador's most formidable peaks—Chimborazo, Altar, and Tungurahua—are visible from Riobamba, a pleasant town with wide, tree-lined streets and some well-preserved colonial architecture. Most travelers head to Riobamba because it's the starting point for the famous Devil's Nose train trip. Mudslides have destroyed large sections of the Trans-Andean Railroad, which once ran all the way from Quito to Durán. Plans are underway to rehabilitate the tracks and expand regional rail service once again.
Riobamba at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's