The capital of Cotopaxi Province, Latacunga has been rebuilt three times in the wake of massive eruptions of Volcán Cotopaxi, whose perfect, snow-covered cone dominates the city skyline. Juniper trees trimmed in an assortment of geometric shapes grace its main plaza, Parque Vicente León. But Latacunga's real attractions? A couple of country lodgings well outside of town, as well as an orbit of colorful market villages.
Latacunga at a Glance
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's