The Central Highlands Travel Guide
Plan Your The Central Highlands Vacation
South of Quito the Andes rise sharply on either side of the Pan-American Highway, creating a narrow corridor of fertile valleys that, along with Quito, are home to nearly half of Ecuador's population. Along this 175-km (109-mi) stretch between Quito and Riobamba are most of Ecuador's tallest volcanoes, including one of the tallest active volcanoes in the world, Cotopaxi. Alexander von Humboldt, the German scientist who explored the area in 1802, was so impressed by the landscape that he coined a sobriquet still used today: the Avenue of the Volcanoes.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best The Central Highlands restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Now59° F Scattered Clouds 77% Humidity April 23, 2014 at 7:00PM
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Just returned from a 7-day all too short trip to northwest Ecuador with my wife and daughter. Read more
I’ve wanted to visit Ecuador for a few years now – friends had recommended it so it was on my radar for a while. Read more