The Central Highlands Travel Guide
South of Quito the Andes rise sharply on either side of the Pan-American Highway, creating a narrow corridor of fertile valleys that, along with Quito, are home to nearly half of Ecuador's population. Along this 175-km (109-mi) stretch between Quito and Riobamba are most of Ecuador's tallest volcanoes, including one of the tallest active volcanoes in the world, Cotopaxi. Alexander von Humboldt, the German scientist who explored the area in 1802, was so impressed by the landscape that he coined a sobriquet still used today: the Avenue of the Volcanoes.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Central Highlands restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in The Central Highlands
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $163 -- Ecuador: Upscale Quito Hotel w/Breakfast, 35% Off Sheraton Quito
- $1399 -- Ecuador: 7 Nts. w/Air & Amazon Tours, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
- Darwin's Galapagos IExplore
- $1282 & up -- Ecuador: 5-Nt. Amazon Rain Forest Tour w/Air — $1,282 LatinEscapes.com
- Journeys of Discovery (16-Day) — $9,995 IExplore
Why not take that classic walking city tour to new heights with this new trend of rooftop tours? ... Read more
Silverseas cruise line will begin sailing to the Galapagos Islands following its purchase of Ecuadoria... Read more
Nestled in the Andean hillside, the Mashpi Lodge opened last week beckoning those looking to get close—very... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Now57° F Mostly Cloudy 72% Humidity June 19, 2013 at 11:00AM
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
I've just returned from an eight day horseback trip with three other women. Read more
This is the beginning of what will probably be a very long trip report spread over the next few months. Read more