Guayaquil and the Pacific Coast Travel Guide
- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Few foreign visitors see Ecuador's Pacific coast beyond the view from the plane window as they head out to the Galápagos Islands. If you have the time, this is the center of the country's development—all economic roads lead to Guayaquil, Ecuador's largest city—and vacation culture—the tourism industry here touts the south coast as the Ruta del Sol ("route of the sun"), a string of beach resorts, still modest at this stage, but growing in number all the time.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Guayaquil and the Pacific Coast restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Guayaquil and the Pacific Coast
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $600* & up -- Fly to Guayaquil, Ecuador from U.S., R/T LAN Airlines
- $3359 -- Galapagos: 6-Nt. Vacation w/Air & Hotels, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
- $1222 & up -- Ecuador: 5-Nt. Amazon Rain Forest Tour w/Air — $1,222 LatinEscapes.com
- $2118 & up -- Galapagos Islands Escape w/Tours & Breakfast — $2,118 LatinEscapes.com
If you're looking for a really splendid car trip—on a good highway—consider driving from Guayaquil up the Pacific coast 280 km (174... Read more
Why not take that classic walking city tour to new heights with this new trend of rooftop tours?... Read more
Silverseas cruise line will begin sailing to the Galapagos Islands following its purchase of Ecuadoria... Read more
Nestled in the Andean hillside, the Mashpi Lodge opened last week beckoning those looking to get close—very... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Now75° F Mostly Cloudy 83% Humidity May 22, 2013 at 8:00AM
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
I've just returned from an eight day horseback trip with three other women. Read more
This is the beginning of what will probably be a very long trip report spread over the next few months. Read more