Car travel to this region should be undertaken only with much caution and advance preparation. Be forewarned, however, that in some areas of El Oriente you will find yourself driving alongside ugly oil pipelines; roads are periodically blocked by environmentalists protesting petroleum exploration. The trip between Quito and Coca takes eight hours. Misahuallí can be reached in 5-5½ hours by car. Since Macas is so remote, and the road sometimes becomes impassable, you shouldn't attempt to drive. No roads pass near Kapawi, making air travel your only option.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1222 & up -- Ecuador: 5-Nt. Amazon Rain Forest Tour w/Air LatinEscapes.com
- $2118 & up -- Galapagos Islands Escape w/Tours & Breakfast — $2,118 LatinEscapes.com