The trip from Quito to Lago Agrio takes eight hours by bus. Since Lago Agrio is near the Colombian border, it's best to consult a tour operator about safety in this area. The trip from Quito to Coca takes nine hours. A journey from Cuenca to Macas takes 10-12 hours, but the road is frequently impassable, a condition that comes and goes with the weather. Since El Oriente has no truly dry season, don't count on being able to negotiate this route overland.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's