Trips to El Oriente—especially in areas close to the Colombia border—should be arranged only with a tour operator that is familiar with the area and that keeps up with changing conditions. Independent travel to remote jungle areas is dangerous and not recommended.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe