- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Getting Here & Around
Cuenca's Aeropuerto Mariscal Lamar (CUE), undergoing extensive renovation at this writing, is 2 km (1 mi) from the city center, past the bus terminal. A taxi from the airport to downtown costs around $2. Tame and Ícaro connect Cuenca with Quito and Guayaquil; AeroGal, with Quito.
Cuenca is 442 km (265 mi) south of Quito via the Pan-American Highway, a drive that takes eight hours. Plan on four hours from Guayaquil. The former drive takes you along the Avenue of the Volcanoes, while the latter climbs through subtropical lowlands before beginning a dizzying mountain ascent—8,300 feet in slightly more than 240 km (150 mi). Road conditions between Guayaquil and Cuenca are much better than from Quito. Flying is the better option.
From Cuenca's Terminal Terrestre, 1½ km (½ mi) northeast of the town center, there are daily departures for Quito (9 hours) and Guayaquil (5 hours), both less than $7. Taxis are easy to find on the streets of downtown Cuenca. A trip almost anywhere in town should cost less than $2. A helpful branch of iTur, the national tourist office, sits on the south side of the main square. It's open weekdays 8-8 and Saturday 9-3.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1399 -- Ecuador: 7 Nts. w/Air & Amazon Tours, $300 Off Friendly Planet Travel
- $1282 & up -- Ecuador: 5-Nt. Amazon Rain Forest Tour w/Air — $1,282 LatinEscapes.com
- $2118 & up -- Galapagos Islands Escape w/Tours & Breakfast — $2,118 LatinEscapes.com