- Places to Explore
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Santa Cruz de Mompox
Once the crossroads and highway for people and contraband along the mighty Magdalena River and now a colonial relic languishing in the backwaters of the Colombian Caribbean, Mompox (Mompós) is firmly part of the Garciamarquian heartland, with whitewashed streets and ornate churches that echo with tales of South America's liberator Simó Bolívar and the paces of the devout during the city's austere Semana Santa celebrations. Step back in time in a charming destination self-contained on an island, where whole families slumber in rocking chairs in the evening breeze.
Santa Cruz de Mompox at a Glance
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe