As it's only 13 km (8 mi) long, cigar-shape San Andrés is easy to explore by bicycle or motor scooter. Rent one from any of the shops along Avenida Colombia in El Centro. Along the coastal road is Cueva Morgan, a small beachfront settlement where the pirate Henry Morgan reputedly stashed his loot after pillaging coastal Cuba and Panama in the 1670s. Beach bums should head for Johnny Cay, a tiny islet just off the coast. Boats leave all day from San Andrés's beaches.
The island's duty-free status is responsible for the bland boutiques in the concrete jungle of El Centro, San Andrés's commercial center.
San Andrés at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in San Andrés and Providencia
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $543* & up -- Colombia: Cartagena Flights from Miami, R/T LAN Airlines
- $99 -- Colombia: Modern Bogota Hotel w/Breakfast, 35% Off Aloft Bogota Airport
- Colombia Experience IExplore
- $526* & up -- Colombia: Medellin Flights from Miami, R/T — $526 LAN Airlines