San Andrés and Providencia Travel Guide
The resort islands of San Andrés and Providencia lie 645 km (400 mi) northwest of the Caribbean coast—closer to Nicaragua than to Colombia. Christopher Columbus was the first European to set foot on the islands during his fourth voyage to the New World. They were later settled by English pilgrims (who landed in their vessel, the Seaflower, at about the same time their counterparts came ashore at Plymouth Rock), and then by Jamaican cotton growers. Today the islands' roughly 60,000 residents speak an English patois and Spanish. Frequent air service and San Andrés's duty-free status mean that both islands receive a steady stream of visitors, mostly well-to-do Colombians who dive and snorkel when they aren't sunbathing and shopping.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Things To Do in San Andrés and Providencia
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $543* & up -- Colombia: Cartagena Flights from Miami, R/T LAN Airlines
- $99 -- Colombia: Modern Bogota Hotel w/Breakfast, 35% Off Aloft Bogota Airport
- Colombia Experience IExplore
- $526* & up -- Colombia: Medellin Flights from Miami, R/T — $526 LAN Airlines
It draws you in with the allure of beaches, thrilling adventures, and idyllic wine regions, but South... Read more
We all know that the Carnival King is Rio, but there are ample opportunities to let your hair down a... Read more
Few Caribbean cities can match the history, vivaciousness, and cultural and culinary offerings of Cartagena.... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Now79° F Light Drizzle 94% Humidity May 24, 2013 at 7:00PM
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Some of you may have read previous trip reports from me – if not, I warn you, I like to write! Read more
As retired folk, we´ve taken to doing a big winter trip each year - a couple months away from DC´s sometimes cold and sometimes just blah and dreary winter. Read more
Hi there, My wife and I are planning our first 2 month trip to South Amercia with the itinerary below and would like to get your feedback: -
Do I have the right cities / no. Read more