The national tourist office, Servicio Nacional de Turismo, or Sernatur, with branches in Santiago and major tourist destinations around the country, is often the best source for general information about a region. The Sernatur office in Santiago is open 9-6 weekdays, and 9-2 on Saturday. The hours of Sernatur's regional offices vary, but can be found on its Web site.
Municipal tourist offices, often located near a central square, usually have better information about their town's sights, restaurants, and lodging. Many have shorter hours or close altogether during low season, however.
Sernatur. 2/731-8336. www.sernatur.cl.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe