- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
On your first day head straight to Futaleufú, home to one of the world's fastest and most spectacular rivers and situated among breathtaking Patagonian mountain valleys. After a few nights there, spend a day going down the Carretera Austral, or Southern Highway, to Puerto Puyuhuapi, preferably doing so in your own rented, four-wheel-drive truck or jeep to give you more flexibility. A stay at Puyuhuapi Lodge & Spa, a resort accessible only by boat, is a great way to relax and recharge for the next phase of your journey. While in Puyuhuapi, consider spending an extra day there to visit the "hanging glacier" at Parque Nacional Queulat. Afterward, go to Coyhaique, located about five hours south. The largest city in the region, Coyhaique will be a good place for shopping and eating a nice meal before heading to nearby Puerto Chacabuco, where you can board a boat bound for the unforgettable glaciers at Parque Nacional Laguna San Rafael. If you lack the time to continue farther south to see still more of Patagonia's incredible landscape, return to Puerto Montt by a ferry boat that departs from Puerto Chacabuco.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's