The Lake District Restaurants
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The Lake District Restaurant Reviews
Meat and potatoes characterize the cuisine of this part of southern Chile. The omnipresent cazuela (a plate of rice and potatoes with beef or chicken) and pastel de choclo (a corn, meat, and vegetable casserole) are solid, hearty meals. In Puerto Montt, tourists regularly fall in love with the local shellfish offerings, especially when served in traditional plates like curanto and paila marina.
Arguably the greatest gifts from the waves of German immigrants were their tasty küchen, rich fruit-filled pastries. (Raspberry is a special favorite here.) Sample them during the late-afternoon onces, the coffee breaks locals take to tide them over until dinner. The Germans also brought their beer-making prowess to the New World; Valdivia, in particular, is home base to the popular Kunstmann brand.
Browse The Lake District Restaurants
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's