- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
The resort town of Pucón, on the southern shore of Lago Villarrica, attracts all manner of Chileans young and old. By day, there are loads of outdoor activities in the area. The beach on Lago Villarrica feels like one of Chile's popular coastal beach havens near Viña del Mar. By night, the young people flock to the major nightspots and party 'til dawn. The older crowd has a large array of fine restaurants and trendy shops to visit. Pucón has many fans, though some lament the town's meteoric rise to fame. Still, this is the place to have fun all 24 hours of the day in southern Chile. Be warned, however, that accommodations are hard to come by in February, which is easily the busiest month. And outside of summer, December to March, most stores, restaurants, and pubs here close down.
With Volcán Villarrica looming south of town, a color-coded alert system on the Municipalidad (city hall) on Avenida Bernardo O'Higgins signals volcanic activity, and signs around town explain the colors' meanings: green—that's where the light almost always remains—signifies "normal activity," indicating steam being let off from the summit with sulfuric odors and constant, low-level rumblings; yellow and red indicate more dangerous levels of activity. Remember: the volcano sits 15 km (9 mi) away, and you'll be scarcely aware of any activity. Indeed, ascending the volcano is the area's most popular excursion.
Pucón at a Glance
Contacts & Resources
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in The Lake District
- Huilo Huilo
- Lican Ray
- Parque Nacional Conguillío
- Parque Nacional Huerquehue
- Parque Nacional Puyehue
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe