- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- Spanish Phrases
Sports and the Outdoors
Cochamó and Río Puelo's vast forests, fast-flowing rivers, and mountains are an outdoors-lover's mecca. Before you pursue any of the myriad activities available, though, be sure to get your bearings. Unlike national parks, these areas are not formally protected and maintained, and therefore often lack well-marked trails. Check with a local outfitter or travel agency to get more info on where to go and how.
Campo Aventura offers treks, rafting, kayaking, and biking trips in Cochamó and Puelo, but they specialize in horseback-riding trips from one to 14 days. San Bernardo 318, Puerto Varas, Cochamó. 65/232–910. www.campo-aventura.cl.
Miralejos offers trekking, kayaking, mountaineering, and horseback-riding trips in both Cochamó and Puelo. San Pedro 311, Puerto Varas, Cochamó. 65/234–892. www.miralejos.com.
For horseback-riding, boating, hiking, and kayaking trips throughout the Río Puelo area, including ascents of Volcán Yates and hikes to ancient alerce forests and glaciers, check with Andes Patagonia. Río Puelo Alto, Cochamó, Cochamó. 9/9549–1069. www.andespatagonia.cl.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe